Updated: Apr 24, 2019
March is nutrition month, and here at Amani Health we have a real passion for food. The question we’re asked all the time is a big one: what should I eat? The answer is different for each individual, but following are some tips to help everyone make healthy eating easier:
- Take some time to work on a meal plan. Whether you plan a few days ahead, or for a week at a time, it’s difficult to maintain healthy habits without some preparation. So grab your phone, tablet or a pencil and paper and start planning!
- Always have some healthy snacks on hand. It’s not uncommon to reach for an unhealthy snack to combat cravings. But keeping a container of nuts and seeds (raw and unseasoned are best) in your desk, bag, or purse can help curb those hunger pangs and keep you going until your next meal.
- Focus on whole, unprocessed foods, as much as you can. Eat a fruit instead of a granola bar as a snack; make a quick salad with chopped veggies, quinoa, and chickpeas instead of grabbing take out. Cooking doesn’t need to be complicated.
- Make veggies the focus of your meal. Fill at least half of your plate with vegetables and you’ll be well on your way to healthy eating. And don’t forget to add colour to your plate… the more colourful the vegetable, the better!
- Be conscious of the information you receive about food and diets. We are constantly bombarded with confusing nutrition information - some of which is true and a lot of which is not. When in doubt, consult a professional. Our nutrition team at Amani Health consists of Naturopathic Doctors and Holistic Nutritionists, who will help you figure out what works best for you and support you on your journey to healthy eating.